------------THIS WORKSHOP HAS BEEN CANCELLED------------
Portrait Collage with Lola Jenkins
Creating Realistic Art Quilts
March 14-16, 2019
Cost: Public $385/Friend of the Museum $345
This workshop will cover key concepts of making a collage portrait from a photo including light, shadow, value, shapes, color, fabric choices, assembly, quilting techniques, and photo manipulation. All workshops require a mandatory kit.
Students will select a pattern from the instructor to make their portrait quilt and learn all the steps to turn a photo into a portrait using photo manipulation software. Students will learn how to use fabric values to aide in producing pictorial quilts with a wow factor. Then they will learn a variety of techniques to sew the raw edge portraits including: non-traditional trapunto, non-traditional thread painting and other concepts and tools. By the third day, students will take their own 8 ½” x 11” portrait photos and make a pattern, creating their own unique portrait collage projects.
Supply list for the class
- Foam Core board – 15”x20”
- Extra fine tip Black Sharpie
- Tracing Paper (8.5”x11”) – Cannon Brand in the red cover
- Fusible Web: Wonder Under 805 – min. of 2 yards, bring more as desired
- Batting scraps 11”x 17”
- Fusible Fleece 11”x17”
- Backing fabric for project 11” x 17”
- Variety of threads in light, medium and dark
- Sewing machine with power cord, foot pedal, instruction manual
- General sewing supplies
- Two close-up pictures that are very clear 8.5” x 11” portraits, and printed in color. Bring the images on a flash drive as well. For example: a child’s school picture (please no babies or animals).
- Fabrics that capture the color range of your photo in a variety of lights, mediums and darks. Fabric scraps are welcome. Students can also consider bringing values of fabric in one color wave or ombre fabrics in multiple color waves.
- Light box – if you’re able to bring one to share, please do!
- Optional: Laptop if you have Paint Shop Pro Software already installed (Instructor will have one for students to share)
For more information and registration information, contact Becky Glasby, Director of Education at 270-442-8856.