New Quilts from an Old FavoriteEach year this international contest organized by The National Quilt Museum challenges quiltmakers to create an innovative quilt based on a specific traditional pattern. Winners of the contest traditionally include quilts from many different U.S. states and several other countries.Quilts are selected for their excellence in design and techniques, their innovation, and their contributions to an exhibit showing the wide range of designs and styles the selected traditional pattern can inspire.In cooperation with the American Quilter's Society, a catalog is published, featuring the award-winning and finalist quilts in full color, with a photo of the maker, information about the quilt's development and patterns and tips.Click here for the 2017 New Quilts from an Old Favorite contest brochure.
2016 Winners!Nearly everyone remembers sleeping under a quilt made by their mother or grandmother, and many of those quilts were made from time-honored traditional quilt designs. Today’s quiltmakers were challenged by the National Quilt Museum in Paducah, Kentucky to create original quilts based on the classic New York Beauty block pattern. The Museum is delighted to present “New Quilts from an Old Favorite 2016: New York Beauty,” an exhibit of the 18 finalist and winning quilts by quiltmakers who responded to this challenge. These are not your grandmother’s quilts!Quilters modified New York Beauty block designs in imaginative ways, providing a wonderful look at the skills, techniques and creativity of today's quiltmakers. Support for the contest is provided by MODA Fabrics and Janome America, Incorporated.
Do These Stripes Make My Butt Look Big by Sue Turnquist
1st Place WinnerSue Turnquist of Tifton, GA transformed the New York Beauty block into lush vegetation for her First Place quilt, Do These Stripes Make My Butt Look Big? A zebra glances at the viewer over his back, pulling us into the scene.
Gotta Dance! by Cathy Geier
2nd Place WinnerThe Second Place quilt, Gotta Dance! by Cathy Geier of Waukesha, WI, brings Gene Kelly to life under an exploding sky of New York Beauty blocks over a backdrop of skyscrapers.
Liberty Day by Tere D'Amato
3rd Place WinnerLikely most of our forebears came through New York when they arrived in America. Tere D'Amato of Mashpee, MA, honors this event with Liberty Day, the Third Place winner.
NYB State of Mind by Sandi Snow
4th Place WinnerIn NYB State of Mind, Sandi Snow of Lutz, FL, built a contemplative design with precise New York beauty blocks, innovative spacing, and vibrant colors. It is the Fourth Place winner.
Ocean Deep by Toby Lischko
5th Place WinnerA single fabric inspired Ocean Deep by Toby Lischko, of Beaufort, MO. This Fifth Place quilt sings with magentas and greens.
Finalists' quilts that will be featured in the exhibit include:
- Exotic Enchantment by Jean Brueggenjohann of Columbia, MO
- Napenthes by Misty M. Cole of Bonie, MD
- Broadway Beauty by Mary Kay Davis of Sunnyvale, CA
- Be a Part of It! by Vel Garrick of Vacaville, CA
- On Monday, Broadway Goes Dark by Robin Gausebeck of Rockford, IL
- New York Fiesta by Julia Graber of Brooksville, MS
- Spuyten Duyvil by Patricia Hobbs of Macomb, IL
- New York's Beauty by Linda Hamel and Laurie Kelly of Collegeville, PA
- Carol by Hui-Fen Lin of Tainan, Taiwan
- New Mexico Beauty by Karen Watts of Mayhill, NM
- Beautiful Flight of Fancy by Julie Wells of Cadiz, KY
- Diamonds & Pearls.. Dresses That Twirl by Cinzia White of Gerringong, NSW, Australia
- New York Clambake 6: Digger's Dozen Too by Ruth A. White of Ithica, NY
Future & Past Themes
- Double Wedding Ring - 1994
- Log Cabin - 1995
- Ohio Star - 1996
- Mariner's Compass - 1997
- Pineapple - 1998
- Kaleidoscope - 1999
- Storm at Sea - 2000
- Bear's Paw - 2001
- Tumbling Block - 2002
- Feathered Star - 2003
- Monkey Wrench - 2004
- Seven Sisters - 2005
- Dresden Plate - 2006
- Rose of Sharon - 2007
- Sawtooth - 2008
- Burgoyne Surrounded - 2009
- Sunflower - 2010
- Orange Peel - 2011
- Baskets - 2012
- Jacob's Ladder - 2013
- Carolina Lilly - 2014
- Nine Patch - 2015
- New York Beauty - 2016
- Flying Geese - 2017
- Bow Tie - 2018
- Oak Leaf & Reel - 2019
- AQS Show Syracuse July 27th - 30th, 2016
- AQS show Grand Rapids August 10th - 13th, 2016
- AQS show Chattanooga September 14th - 17th, 2016
- AQS show Des Moines October 5th - 8th, 2016